incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] NoNameYet - Pluto
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:01:01 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Roland Weber wrote:
>> I think that is a bit oversimplified. IBM has strict rules about
>> open source participation. It is either "on private time", such
>> as my involvement at Apache. Then the person is acting as an
>> individual. Or it is "on company time". Then the person is doing
>> what he or she is paid for. And if IBM is changing it's priorities,
>> or the line item that required OSS participation is closed, plenty
>> of other work will be dumped on that person, simply leaving no
>> (work) time for OSS participation. Yes, Apache attaches all merits
>> to the individual. But you cannot reasonably expect individuals
>> that got paid for working on an Apache project to continue their
>> involvement at a comparable level on private time, nor "judge"
>> them for retiring. The ultimate cause of reduced activity here
>> would be the employer's decision, not the individual's.
>
> You are absolutely right...

Yep, Roland and Bill, I agree.  Thanks to the efforts of Ken Coar and
others, IBM, "the corporate entity", has organizational knowledge (read
"process") for formally reviewing proposals to contribute code to open
source communities.  I've personally shutdown more than a few IBM
proposals that would have been 'code dumps'.  You might be surprised at
how I most often do it... I show them how difficult it is to get through
the internal review process .  When they discover how hard it is to
'dump' code, they quickly lose interest.  No one here would waste their
time going to the effort to 'dump' code.  The word 'dump' is a really
bad metaphor.  So is the process perfect?  Of course not and that's a
silly question as there is no such thing as a perfect process in the
real world.  I'm certain some IBM sponsored projects have not lived up
to expectations.

Open invitation to anyone reading this... if you detect a pattern of IBM
dumping code, let me know. It's certainly possible that our internal
process for vetting proposals is not strict as it should be.  Convince
me there is a problem and I will work to solve it on the IBM side.

Bill