incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Hepper <sthep...@hursley.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] NoNameYet - Pluto
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 05:55:00 GMT
Paul,
I still think it is of value doing RIs at Apache, because it makes the
standard that is implemented more open and easier to consume.

I also think that the new JCP process allows to do it more inline with
Apache rules, however it still requires some special treatment (and some
additional patience) as many of the decisions are done via the JSR EG
and not on the Apache mailing list.

Another major issue is that from the JCP point of view the spec lead is
responsible for providing the RI when submitting the final spec and thus
needs to ensure that the RI gets finished in time. Therefore the
situation that Endre criticizes, that committers from one company are
very active in one phase of the project and then "disappear", arise if
the community is not focused on the new release (e.g. in case of Pluto
2.0), but trying to stabilize and finalize the current version (Pluto
1.1). On the other hand that is also a decision of the community, the
more active they are on the new versions, the less code the spec-lead
company needs to contribute.

Stefan