incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] NoNameYet - Pluto
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:13:57 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:
> Disclosure... I work for IBM.

So do I.

> IBM'ers participate on projects as individuals and it's the actions of
> individuals that should be judged.

I think that is a bit oversimplified. IBM has strict rules about
open source participation. It is either "on private time", such
as my involvement at Apache. Then the person is acting as an
individual. Or it is "on company time". Then the person is doing
what he or she is paid for. And if IBM is changing it's priorities,
or the line item that required OSS participation is closed, plenty
of other work will be dumped on that person, simply leaving no
(work) time for OSS participation. Yes, Apache attaches all merits
to the individual. But you cannot reasonably expect individuals
that got paid for working on an Apache project to continue their
involvement at a comparable level on private time, nor "judge"
them for retiring. The ultimate cause of reduced activity here
would be the employer's decision, not the individual's.

While I think that Endre's concerns are very real and justified,
there are two points I'd like to mention in this context:

1. This is not specific to IBM. It is a danger to all projects
   with corporate backing, whether that comes from IBM or BEA
   or SUN or whomever.
2. Community diversity is an exit criteria, not an entry criteria.

cheers,
  Roland