incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] NoNameYet - Pluto
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2008 00:15:41 GMT
Endre StĂžlsvik wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>
>> Sure, activity is not that high, and there's not a *huge* developer
>> community, but there does not really seem to be any problem, either.
>> Apache doesn't require projects to be huge successes (by whatever
>> metric) as long as they're healthy and self-sustaining.
>
> This was not healthy up until quite recently - I'd even question
> whether the code and the community is _healthy_ now. And the main
> point was that IBM, the dumpsters, fled the plot pretty fast after the
> import was done, not bothering about creating The Healthy Community
> around the code they off-loaded before leaving.
>
> This should raise at least some slight concerns in Apache, IMO.

Endre,
Disclosure... I work for IBM.

I agree with your concern about code dumping and I completely respect
your comments.  However, I object to the logic you are applying here.
IBM'ers participate on projects as individuals and it's the actions of
individuals that should be judged.  To tar all IBM'ers because of bad
behavior (perceived or real) of a few is just wrong.

Bill