incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Hepper <sthep...@hursley.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] NoNameYet - Pluto
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:11:40 GMT
here my response to Endre's mail
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200801.mbox/%3c47A1E1D5.3050404@Stolsvik.com%3e):

about Pluto V 1.x:
Due to the JCP process guidelines at that time you could not have early
public drafts and thus you are correct that the RI got to Apache very
late. However, we discussed this with people from Apache and we also
went through the incubation process. It would have always been an option
to not accept the project.
It is not true that after the JSR was final everything stopped. In fact
once we had finished 1.0 there was still work done to get to a more
stable 1.0.1 release. After that the pluto community re-structed the
code which led to the pluto 1.1 stream, so you can see that it was an
active community not only some code drop.
Also in my view pluto was a success, take a look at all the projects
using the pluto container: http://portals.apache.org/pluto/powered.html.

about JSR 286/Pluto 2.0:
Besides myself there are 4 people from Apache projects sitting in the
JSR 286 EG and now that the JCP supports early public drafts we
published early drafts more than a year ago and started the development
of 2.0 directly at Apache. It is also based on the new 1.1 codestream
that the Apache community created.

I think you should also consider the view points of companies donating
work and code to Apache. In my opinion  it would have been much cheaper
for IBM to just put the RI out there on some server instead of going to
Apache. We went to Apache because we wanted the portlet standard to be
widespread and easy to adopt by everyone.

Regards,
     Stefan