incubator-general mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.Net Comitters
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:54:36 GMT

On Feb 22, 2008, at 7:52 AM, Santiago Gala wrote:
> El vie, 22-02-2008 a las 09:34 +0100, Endre Stølsvik escribió:
>> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>
>>> Another option might be to take the code somewhere else for a while,
>>> work on it, gather a community and come back to the incubator
>>> when the
>>> project has gathered some momentum.
>>
>> Why would that be a good idea? The infrastructure is already set
>> up and
>> working at Apache, and Lucene (the actual one!) is an Apache project.
>
> If I remember correctly, Lucene.NET is supposed to graduate into
> Lucene.
> I guess the Lucene PMC would be a good place to ask for opinion or
> volunteers for keeping the .NET port alive.

I have passed this issue over to the Lucene PMC (CC'd here too).
There are two issues, one is in getting some interested committers
added to the project - and there have been a few folks that have
contributed significantly to the project that would be suitable I think.

The second issue is that I am not the right person to continue to
mentor this project.  I have never used (nor intend to use) .NET, and
I also have no time/interest for helping with this project.  My
Lucene focus has turned to Solr, which I say is a better way to put
Lucene on .NET anyway (though of course that requires running a JVM
in the mix too, which is of course prohibitive in many .NET
environments).  So we really need a new mentor for this project as well.

There may be a Lucene PMCer who is interested in volunteering to
mentor, but he is not an Apache Member.  As I understand it,
membership is required to be a mentor, right?

Where to now?

Thanks,
	Erik