incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Thrift
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2008 13:48:51 GMT
On Feb 2, 2008, at 1:20 AM, David Reiss wrote:
> J Aaron Farr wrote:
>> git could be an issue.
>
> Can you explain what the issue is with Git?

Probably not very well :-). Basically, we know how to do the apache-
style open source process using centralized version control, we don't
quite know how to do it using (significantly) different version
control models.

That can (will?) change, but it probably can't change very quickly.

> Let me say in closing, though, that I don't want this issue to hold
> up the vote on Thrift.

I think it's a good idea to treat it as a seperate topic.

> I think that everyone involved with the project thinks that Apache
> is the best place for it, and if the PMC says we have to use
> Subversion, we will.

Cool.

1. You have to use subversion.

2. You are cordially invited to engage within apache to see what we
can do about modifying rule #1.

For #2, I can immediately imagine some ways to use git-svn that are
quite acceptable. I can also imagine some things that are probably
not so easily acceptable. I can imagine a BoF session at the next
ApacheCon about it :-)

cheers,

- Leo, fan (but not active user) of git