incubator-general mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Subversion vs other source control systems
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:47:25 GMT

El dom, 17-02-2008 a las 19:02 -0500, Noel J. Bergman escribió:
> Santiago Gala wrote:
> > I think git-svn abuses the server a lot, as the subversion server is not
> > designed for copying of the whole history.
>
> AFAICS, that's an issue for the Infrastructure Team to address, not the Incubator.

> > - faster commits, branch switching, pulls and pushs
> > - merges, good and persistent merges
> > - offline work, offline history diffs
> > - rebasing is not such a "feature", but it can be useful sometimes
> > - publishing lots of repositories helps surfacing patches that are
> >   currently hidden until ready for sending/committing
>
> The last one is almost antithetical to how we want people to work.  The first few are
something that you could raise with the Subversion folks on infra@.

Can you elaborate on how is publishing what currently is hidden
"antithetical to how we want people to work"? I think that getting a
clear idea on this is important, as I always thought the ASF was about
transparency and not keeping information hidden. And I think it is in
scope, as the incubator is an important place for people to learn "our
ways".

> > The inability of subversion to remember merged results makes working in
> > a branch unpractical. Been there, done that, very tricky.
>
> Raise any technical issues with the Subversion folks.

huh? why?

> > Turning your "key poing" upside down: "We should not try to impose our
> > practices using a technological tool, specially when doing so impairs
> > development."
>
> If there is a better SCM *for our way of working* raise that on infra@, too.
>
> > people *against* changes in SCM is blaming a hypothetical introduction
> > of git of breaking the ASF practices
>
> No.  This is the wrong forum.  What we've said here is that there won't be any deviation
from the ASF infrastructure for source control; changing ASF infrastructure is out of scope
for the Incubator.

I already tried to move the discussion to community@apache.org, where I
think it belongs, but people insists on answering here. Making requests
to a closed team in a private list does not accord with *our way of
working*, I think. And I don't think there is any need to use a private,
unarchived list for discussions on infrastructure improvements.

Regards
Santiago