incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: reviving a failed incubation project (was: moving a failed incubation project)
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:16:50 GMT
On Jan 26, 2008 8:29 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin <
robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2008 9:18 PM, Roland Weber <rolandw@apache.org> wrote:
> > Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > >
> > > Normally, I would suggest that if we have people wanting to work on a
> > > project, that we bring it back to life here.
>
> +1
>
> > I'm curious how this is supposed to happen? We recently had
> > two independent inquiries [1,2] of people wanting to work on
> > a failed incubator project called Lucene4c.[3] Searching in
> > the archives uncovers some more. Since I felt that the first
> > inquiry I noticed didn't get a suitable response, I wrote
> > up my personal view of the problem.[4] It is rather gloomy,
> > and nobody here was inclined to share a more positive view.
>
> perhaps a little more structured would be good, maybe something as
> simple as a sign up sheet on the wiki. apache traditionally has the
> rule-of-three: 3 developers are enough to form a community. once there
> are three volunteers, a lightweght restart could be attempted.

Couldn't we setup a "retired projects" Jira project? Or a specific module in
the Incubator project? If people have some interest on a retired podling,
this would allow them to start posting patches. People with Incubator karma
could apply the patches (I certainly would). If we notice more and more
patches going to a single retired project, a new community could be formed.

Matthieu