incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Process Question: Draft Mentors Onto IPMC...? [WAS: [docs] Started pre-drafting]
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:51:20 GMT
On Jan 13, 2008 10:47 PM, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> > > 1. IIRC mentors are drafted onto the IPMC. do i recall correctly?
> > Yep, although that's subject to a vote so they could be rejected. Unless
> > they're members.
>
> Not quite entirely accurate.  As a matter of Incubator PMC policy, ASF
> Members can become Incubator PMC Members upon their request and Board
> acknowledgement, however there is provision for calling a vote on the issue.
> It has never been invoked, but does exist.
>
>  A non-member can mentor as well as long as there's also a member mentor
> > for the podling.
>
> And if the non-Member has been elected to the Incubator PMC.

let me go through this one more time...

policy states:

A Podling has one or more Mentors, one of which MUST be an Apache
Member. Mentors are chosen by the Sponsor to actively monitor the
podling,  guide the podling in the Apache Way, and report its status
to the Sponsor and the Incubator PMC. All Mentors must be members of
the Incubator PMC. A Mentor has responsibilities toward the Incubator
PMC, the Sponsor, and the community of the assigned Podling.

the IPMC votes on a proposal including the names of nominated Mentors.
one of the proposed Mentors must be an Apache member. the others MUST
be members of the IPMC.

are we saying that:

 either A) as a result of the proposal vote, nominated Mentors are
drafted on the IPMC by virtue of that vote
 or B)  that once the vote is passed propective Mentors need to ask
for election to the IPMC. any which are rejected must withdraw,

A or B seem to me to be mutally exclusive. which is it to be?

- robert