incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject [docs] Started pre-drafting [WAS Re: [POLICY] Streamline Setting+Up+a+New+Podling policy]
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:00:16 GMT
On Jan 1, 2008 4:58 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 31, 2007 9:14 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Dec 31, 2007, at 5:47 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> >
> > > http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
> > > Incubation_Policy.html#Setting+Up+a+New+Podling
> > > falls somewhere between guideance and policy. given that process
> > > mistakes have been made (eg.
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1341)
> >
> > This issue points out that even members of the incubator and members
> > of the foundation aren't always clear on what parts of infrastructure
> > are accessible to whom.
>
> ATM apache's in the middle of a bit of a transition so it's not very coherent
>

> > > IMHO it would be
> > > better to create a guide for this part of the process and streamline
> > > this section.
> >
> > +1
> > >
> > > a radical patch (below) would strip out all policy. for want of a
> > > better name, i've termed this guide 'bootstrap' (creation is already
> 22> > used for another part of the process) but suggestions welcomed.
> >
> > Only after a guide with this information is ready.
>
> +1
>
> > > as discussed (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-
> > > general/200712.mbox/%
> > > 3cf470f68e0712290934y31e65c26qe8d9758f2d3db5e1@mail.gmail.com%3e),
> > > though the current policy suggests that the mentors should do most of
> > > the work this is probably unnecessary since the IPMC has already
> > > approved it. so, i'd like to see this bit of policy removed anyway.
> > >
> > > the current policy lists mandates required infrastructure tasks
> > > (mailing lists, repository). i'm not sure that this is needed at all.
> > > if it is then it would be better to simply to ask that all proposed
> > > resources are created.
> >
> > I do think that the new guide should make clear what tasks need to be
> > done (not all of the tasks are listed). And what karma each task needs.
>
> IMO we need to move away from karma and onto roles
>
> for example, i have archive karma since i helped to set up the mirrors
> back in the early noughties. i have this karma since i'm part of the
> infra team. bulk transferring all the existing incubator to the
> archives is really an infra task and i'm doing it with my infra hat
> on. lots of members who've been around from the early noughties have
> had lots of roles over the years. so they end up with lots of karma
> and this confuses people into thinking that there are lots of stuff
> that members are required for.
>
> some tasks required infra, some the incubator chair, some an IPMCer,
> some any committer. most have some sort of process requirements. i'm
> inclined to recommend that JIRA is used for coordination. whilst i'm
> bringing in RAT, i'm trying to preserve a record of what was needed. i
> hope that this will help in creating the documentation.
>
> > There is a guide http://incubator.apache.org/guides/projects.html
> > that could be used for the purpose. It's (strangely) linked from the
> [...]

i've started to pull something together by writing up what i need to
do to set RAT up. see
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#bootstrap. it's at a
very early stage. i'll try to update as i go rather than wait and
write up. so feel free to jump in with patches.

- robert