incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <>
Subject Re: [docs] Release Distribution
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:33:36 GMT
On Jan 2, 2008 4:39 AM, Roland Weber <> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> > i've taken a stab at a first draft of documenting release distribution
> > (
> I was just wondering about the write permissions for
> all files. Surely the release artifacts should never
> be modified, as mentioned in later sections. So it
> would be sufficient to keep those read-only, as long
> as there is write permission on the directory to remove
> them?

AIUI yes

the advantage of using the permissions suggested is that it's very
easy for people to get right. it's irratating when someone tries to
use directory permissions and gets it wrong since root is required to
fix them.

> Well, it's not policy and everybody does it that
> way, so I guess there's no need to mention that.

my BSD-foo is too little for me to be confident in creating good
documentation but don't let that stop someone else with more foo

> Could you rephrase the term "top level subdirectory"
> to something that isn't self-contradictory? ;-)
> Just dropping the "top level" part should be OK.

i found it quite difficult coming up with accurate desciptions. maybe
it would be better to rely on more examples to illustrates points

> In the "Archiving Old Releases" section, should people
> verify that an artifact is in the archive before deleting
> it from the dist/ directory? That would only come into
> play if a release artifact is withdrawn within hours,
> before it has been automatically archived. So maybe
> mention it only in "Dealing With A Defect"?

i've commit something along those lines. once the website has sync'd,
take a look and see you have any more improvements for these sections

- robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message