incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [docs] Release Distribution
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:55:56 GMT
On Jan 2, 2008 12:14 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> > i've taken a stab at a first draft of documenting release distribution
> > (http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution)
> >
> > please comment or just dive in and patch
>
> In general +1, thanks!
>
> Are we missing the *policy* that releases always ship source, and then
> their binaries as desired by the podling... but always, always providing
> that corresponding source, because any ASF release *is* a source release
> first and compiled artifacts second?

it's not missing it since it's not policy it's tautology ;-)

IMHO this topic belongs in the sections describing how to cut a good
release and not in a section which describes what to do once an
approved release has been cut. (i'll commit a description.) the
release management documentation needs a *lot* of work and i think it
best to stay focussed just on the distribution upload part for this
thread, it would be very easy for this discussion to spiral out of
control. i'm not working on the rest so feel free to pick out some
other sections and push them forward.

alternativelty, if you feel to state this explicitly then change
either apache, infra or incubator policy

> where we have www.apache.org/dist/incubator/podling - we want "podling"
> to be italicized (or {bracketed}?)

yeh - i couldn't decide which way was best or whether it should be
done at all :-)

probably best to choose one and then change all instances

[ ] www.apache.org/dist/incubator/podling
[ ] www.apache.org/dist/incubator/<em>podling</em>
[ ] www.apache.org/dist/incubator/{podling}

> spelling out that http://archive.apache.org/dist location would be nice.