incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Antonio Petrelli" <antonio.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Kaolin (renamed from Dimensions)
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:49:44 GMT
2008/1/26, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Jan 24, 2008 9:56 PM, Antonio Petrelli <antonio.petrelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Kaolin natural place is as an Apache Tiles extension, [...]
>
> As far as I can tell from the Dimension project statistics on
> SourceForge (commits only by you, and no mailing list, forum, or issue
> tracker activity) it seems like Kaolin is at the moment your personal
> project.

Yes, and no. Dimensions has been started by Aaron Roller, and you can
find the original codebase in the CVS (I migrated to SVN because it is
better :-) ). I believe that Dimensions simply lacks publicity...

> Is there interest in growing an independent Kaolin community,
> or should the codebase perhaps just be contributed (with a software
> grant) as an add-on component to Apache Tiles?

The add-on option will fit best. At this point, does it need to pass
through the incubator, or a software grant is enough?

> > ===== Community =====
> >
> > Kaolin community will be, probably, Apache Tiles community.
>
> What is the current Kaolin community?

The "current" community is hard to say. I heard Aaron Rolller that at
MotionBased use a modified version of Dimensions.
About the future, I think that WURFL:
http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/
and Milyn Tinak:
http://milyn.codehaus.org/Tinak
can become part of the community, at least for the device recognition part.
I modified the wiki page to clarify the community.

> > ==== Known Risks ====
> >
> > ===== Orphaned products =====
> >
> > There is a risk of making Kaolin an orphaned product, but most
> > probably it will follow Apache Tiles steps. Since Tiles is widely
> > adopted in Java EE applications, it is difficult that Kaolin will be
> > abandoned.
>
> How does this relate to the fact that the latest Dimensions news and
> releases are from year 2005?

In the SVN there is (or better was, since I had not time to update it)
an ongoing effort to port Dimensions to Tiles 2. Since I was busy in
Tiles development itself, Dimensions staled.

> Note that for all I know Kaolin could be one of the hidden gems of
> open source, but without some more background I'm a bit concerned
> about the apparent lack of general interest or community around the
> codebase.

Yes, I understand it very well :-) IMHO the fact that you are asking
so many questions means that the interest is growing :-)

Thanks
Antonio