incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Subversion area setup (RE: svn commit: r611521)
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:48:00 GMT
Craig Russell asked:

>>> <li>Creating the workspace in svn. This requires commit
>>> access to the incubator svn repository. Podlings are given
>>> their own subdirectory of the incubator svn repository.
>> This should not be done (to be safe) until after the #{podling}-
>> commits mailing list has been created.
> What will happen if the svn workspace is set up without
> a corresponding mailing list?

The notices for any commits would be discarded and lost, requiring them to
be manually regenerated.

> during the initial setup of the repository, who cares?

We care if people see the repository and therefore start committing before
the mailing list is ready for the commit notices.

The ASF very much cares about having an e-mail log of all changes.  We don't
just trust the source control system, and on at least one prior occasion in
the old CVS days were able to detect when someone hacked the source control
repository to change history.

	--- Noel