incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Process Question: Draft Mentors Onto IPMC...? [WAS: [docs] Started pre-drafting]
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:51:11 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> > > Yep, although that's subject to a vote so they could be rejected.
Unless
> > > they're members.
> >
> > Not quite entirely accurate.  As a matter of Incubator PMC policy, ASF
> > Members can become Incubator PMC Members upon their request and Board
> > acknowledgement, however there is provision for calling a vote on the
issue.
> > It has never been invoked, but does exist.
> >
> > > A non-member can mentor as well as long as there's also a member
mentor
> > > for the podling.
> >
> > And if the non-Member has been elected to the Incubator PMC.

> let me go through this one more time...

:-)

> A Podling has one or more Mentors, one of which MUST be an Apache
> Member.

OK

> Mentors are chosen by the Sponsor [...]

That's a bit dubious, actually.  See below.

> All Mentors must be members of the Incubator PMC.

Correct.  And the phrasing could be "Mentors are members of the Incubator
PMC who are chosen to ..."

> the IPMC votes on a proposal including the names of nominated Mentors.
> one of the proposed Mentors must be an Apache member. the others MUST
> be members of the IPMC.

OK.

> are we saying that:

> either A) as a result of the proposal vote, nominated Mentors are
> drafted on the IPMC by virtue of that vote

They are not Mentors until/unless they are elected to the Incubator PMC.
That is not part and parcel of a vote called to incubate a project.  The
vote would have to be explicitly put forth as an omnibus vote, which I might
well vote against on principle.  Hence my comment above about the dubious
comment about being chosen by the Sponsor.

> or B)  that once the vote is passed propective Mentors need to ask
> for election to the IPMC.

Anyone who isn't an Incubator PMC Member and wants to be a Mentor, must seek
election to the Incubator PMC.  And I don't consider it to be a low barrier
to entry election.

	--- Noel