incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Policy re importing non-APL source into apache svn
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:29:19 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:

> Is a project under incubation allowed to import its existing sources
> (not under the Apache license) into the Apache svn?  And after
> graduation from the incubator, is it ok for the svn history to
> still show those old non-apl files in the history?

> I hope the answer is simply "yes". It is nice to be able to see the
> complete history of any file, even before its move to Apache. However
> this does mean that non-apl source can be downloaded via the apache
> svn server which seems a little odd.

I honestly don't remember, and seem to recall that we've had both things
happen in the past, with discussion about it.  There have definitely been
statements to the effect that projects can clean up their licensing while in
the Incubator.  That also seems to be implied by the presence of the
Copyright and Distribution Rights questions in the STATUS file.

On the other hand, I also believe that the ASF should have the code grants
prior to importing the code into SVN.

Discussion?

	--- Noel