incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: moving a failed incubation project
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:27:17 GMT

On Jan 22, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

>>> I thought the whole point of the AL was that pepople could take code
>>> away and do whatever they want with it - it doesn't say in the AL
>>> you
>>> can "do whatever you want with it as long as you rename the
>>> packages".
>>>
>>> Niall

I was conflating two things. You are right; the Apache license allows
you to do lots of things with the code that is released under the
license.

But I'll stand by my concern about using the Apache brand for another
product. Which means that you need to be very careful to label the
changed code as your own and not Apache's.

And I'll also reiterate that if you're taking code from the repository
and not from a project's source release, you're on your own to
guarantee the code's provenance.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com