incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: "Binding" term
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:19:45 GMT

On Jan 31, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Erik Abele wrote:

>> Perhaps we need to do something like having the whole community
>> vote and then taking this as their proposal to the PMC which then
>> votes as to wether to pass this community advice on.
>
> Yes, we're already doing that it's just very confusing to a lot of
> people :)

Well -- you and I (and a lot of others) understand it that way. But I
am not sure if this is universally shared ? I often find people, say
at a non apache conference, who just do not see/experience it that way.

> I like your term "communiy advice" - the PPMC gauges interest by
> holding a vote where only

I'd go a step further - and would expect the PPMC to either follow or
'reject with explanation' -- rather than do something totally
different. Or if they do - announce such clearly with another chance
for the community to visibly rally.

Problem is - in the end of the day - the boards hold that same PMC
accountable - no matter wath their community did.

> the votes of the PPMC members are *counting* ("binding") and then
> forwards this as a community advice to the IPMC which holds another
> vote to sign it off (where only the votes of the IPMC members are
> counting/binding).
>
> Later, as soon as the Podling has graduated, the second step goes
> away and the former PPMC can now directly vote and sign-off by
> itself...

Agreed.

Dw