incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: moving a failed incubation project
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:23:21 GMT
I think the terminology in the subject is wrong.

You are not "moving a failed incubation project." That project is dead.

What you can do is to use the code in another project, and assume all
responsibility to verify that the license in the code is correct.

What you can't do is to use the Apache brand for another project,
meaning to use the package names including apache if it's not an
Apache project.

And please be aware that the code might be tainted. Since it never
left incubation, the code's provenance might never have been vetted.
So you don't really know what you're getting, in terms of ownership,
license, patent, etc. If you use the code you're responsible for
making sure it's really ok.

Craig