incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] publish Tika 0.1-incubating
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2008 04:09:33 GMT

On Jan 4, 2008 5:31 AM, Niclas Hedhman <> wrote:
> +1 for this release, and note to developers to have a DISCLAIMER file
> separately in both source release and the META-INF dir of the binary.

Will do.

On a related note, when and how did the DISCLAIMER file come to exist?
I guess it's a legacy of Wicket, since that was the first time I
recall seeing the file. To me it seems debatable whether the
disclaimer is more prominent within the README file or in a separate
DISCLAIMER file, but I'm OK to go with the latter if people prefer

> I am also curious to know how Andy's and Ryan's contributions "came to be". Do
> we have any paper trail of this?

The notice for Andy Clark was added for the NekoHTML [1] dependency
(ALv2). The Tika codebase doesn't actually contain any of that code,
just uses it as a dependency, so AFAIK the attribution in NOTICE
wouldn't actually be needed. It got added [2] a while ago when we were
considering a release bundle that contains all the dependencies. The
notice was briefly questioned [3] and discussed [4] on tika-dev@ but
so far no action was taken on it.

The notice for Ryan Ackley is more substantial, as the Tika codebase
contains a few classes (part of [5]) from his now-dormant [6] codebase. Those classes found their way into Tika
via the Nutch and Lius Lite codebases and their status was considered
on tika-dev@ with Ryan on Cc [7].

Jukka Zitting

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: