incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Reiss <dre...@facebook.com>
Subject Re: Re: [PROPOSAL] Thrift
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:12:28 GMT
> Niclas is correct - this can create hardships, resentments, control
> issues in your community.  If it's a simple as "we don't trust you
> Java folks on day one to properly indent Python code" I can sympathize
> with that concept.
That's about the extent of what we were thinking, but there has been so much
opposition to this idea that Mark and I have decided to withdraw it from the
proposal (wiki update coming soon).  I think Ben said it best: if someone
can't be trusted to not start committing changes to modules they are
unfamiliar with, they should not be a committer at all.  If we somehow get to
a place where we are constantly merging patches from someone that we don't
trust enough to make them a committer, we can discuss the possibility with our
mentors.

--David