incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: "Binding" term
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:05:10 GMT

Erik Abele wrote:

>>> The error is the use of PPMC.  It should say that only PMC member votes
>>> are binding.
>>
>> But somehow I like the fact that in most cases the vote is much wider
>> - and I think that this helps foster a community responsiblity.
>
> Absolutely.
>
>> Perhaps we need to do something like having the whole community vote
>> and then taking this as their proposal to the PMC which then votes as
>> to wether to pass this community advice on.
>
> Yes, we're already doing that it's just very confusing to a lot of
> people :)
>
> I like your term "communiy advice" - the PPMC gauges interest by holding
> a vote where only the votes of the PPMC members are *counting*
> ("binding") and then forwards this as a community advice to the IPMC
> which holds another vote to sign it off (where only the votes of the
> IPMC members are counting/binding).

+1 - As a mentor, I rarely cast a vote (except for obvious votes that just
confirm or go against ASF best practices or policies) until I see the
leanings of the active project members, and then almost never have a reason
to vote contrary to their direction.  So that's pretty much it, Mentors
essentially guide them on how to vote, ratify their decisions to make them
binding, and get the podlings ready to strike out on their own.

Bill