incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: moving a failed incubation project
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:39:25 GMT
J Aaron Farr wrote:

>If the fork wishes to do more than patch up the original or wishes to
>create its own identity unique from the Apache original, then it would
>be wise to rename the packages, but there is no legal requirement to
>do so.

believing you that there is no legal requirement (I am no lawyer ;-),
but that's also my understanding of the ASF license and incubator
agreement), then that's how it is for the moment.

But for the future I think it's in the best interest of the ASF to think
about this more thoroughly, because it can be very misleading if one is
using Java packages with org.apache.*, but this code

 - might have nothing to do with the ASF
 - might be a fork of existing ASF, but has been changed quite a bit in
the meantime

To me the first step would be to talk to these people and ask them
kindly to change the package names.
If they will change it, then almost everyone will be happy, except
people with dependencies, but that can be fixed by keeping previous
versions available and adding a note.

The problem is when people don't want to change and this is where the
ASF should ask itself "do we care" (well, I do) and if the ASF does
care, then what can be done? Are there legal means? Are there other means?

Cheers

Michi

>--
>  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
>    馮傑仁          cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905
>

>[1] this is trademark, not copyright issue.

Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner@wyona.com, michi@apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61