incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: moving a failed incubation project
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:32:12 GMT
Paul Fremantle wrote:

>Niall
>
>Asking someone politely to rename the package is hardly throwing our
>weight around.

very much agreed and I guess if one can show a migration path (as I have
suggested) which doesn't break too much, then I think nobody should mind
renaming the packages.

But with the ASF member hat on I think the package org.apache.*  is
something which the ASF should protect, just as the logo and the brand
name itself resp. add a policy to the incubation process which people
have to agree to when entering the incubation phase.

Cheers

Michi

>Paul
>
>On Jan 22, 2008 8:50 PM, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Jan 22, 2008 8:27 PM, Paul Fremantle <pzfreo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I agree with the general point about the legality of using the
>>>org.apache namespace. However, I think there is a significant issue
>>>here. People assume that org.apache code is from Apache. And the
>>>reasoning that its too much effort to rename is frankly wrong. Even
>>>sed could do a decent job and probably sort the problem out.
>>>
>>>I think the usage of org.apache should be considered in the same way
>>>as the Apache Logo - something that the ASF controls rigorously to
>>>protect our brand image.
>>>

>>If we throw our weight around that IMO goes against what our own
>>license permits, then thats going to damage the ASF's "brand image"
>>and its liberal license. I can't see how this could ever be official
>>policy, but we should stop saying it until it is.
>>
>>Niall
>>

>>>Paul

Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner@wyona.com, michi@apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61