incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: moving a failed incubation project
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:43:07 GMT
Paul Fremantle wrote:

>I agree with the general point about the legality of using the
>org.apache namespace. However, I think there is a significant issue
>here. People assume that org.apache code is from Apache.

agreed. Hence I would also suggest that when moving the code that the
package names should be renamed, but I also would suggest to make the
current code as it is available somewhere (either within the ASF or
somewhere else), but with a clear note telling the history of this code,
such that dependent products don't break.

Also I think Maven could help with that, for instance I have made tsik
available within our own maven repo

http://maven2.wyona.org/apache-org-incubator/tsik/r389866/

such that projects as for instance joid can reference it

http://maven2.wyona.org/joid/joid/r84-patched/

and in case joid is ever being updated to the new tsik package names,
one can easily switch

Cheers

Michi

> And the
>reasoning that its too much effort to rename is frankly wrong. Even
>sed could do a decent job and probably sort the problem out.
>
>I think the usage of org.apache should be considered in the same way
>as the Apache Logo - something that the ASF controls rigorously to
>protect our brand image.
>
>Paul
>
>On Jan 22, 2008 8:12 PM, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Jan 22, 2008 6:23 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I think the terminology in the subject is wrong.
>>>
>>>You are not "moving a failed incubation project." That project is dead.
>>>
>>>What you can do is to use the code in another project, and assume all
>>>responsibility to verify that the license in the code is correct.
>>>
>>>What you can't do is to use the Apache brand for another project,
>>>meaning to use the package names including apache if it's not an
>>>Apache project.
>>>

>>I thought the whole point of the AL was that pepople could take code
>>away and do whatever they want with it - it doesn't say in the AL you
>>can "do whatever you want with it as long as you rename the packages".
>>
>>Niall
>>

>>>And please be aware that the code might be tainted. Since it never
>>>left incubation, the code's provenance might never have been vetted.
>>>So you don't really know what you're getting, in terms of ownership,
>>>license, patent, etc. If you use the code you're responsible for
>>>making sure it's really ok.
>>>
>>>Craig

Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner@wyona.com, michi@apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61