incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ahmad Khalifa <ah...@khalifa.ws>
Subject Re: Business Framework Project
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:41:38 GMT
J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Ahmad Khalifa <ahmad@khalifa.ws> writes:
>> Ultimately, what this would be good for, is to offer several
>> pre-built applications along the lines of CRM, ERP, Accounting, POS,
>> etc... just like some already available applications, but the extra
>> customization features would make it much more adaptable/extendable to
>> organizations, and much easier to extend to more business domains.
>
> I understand it's technically different from OFBiz, but have you
> looked at Apache OFBiz?  Would it be something that team could use?
>
>   http://ofbiz.apache.org/

I have taken a look at OFBiz. From what I understand in OFBiz you create
your entities, views, db table mappings, and business logic in Java, and
XML.

This approach is much different. It defines those things in the database
and interprets them at runtime from the database. i.e. there is no such
thing as 'Accounts.xml' or 'Employees.java', etc...

I don't see OFBiz benefiting from this at all. Unless they're willing to
do a huge re-write. On the other hand, what this project could use from
the OFBiz project, is the already developed logic they have. It is much
more mature in terms of the already created business functionality.

Regards,
Ahmad