incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Process Question: Draft Mentors Onto IPMC...? [WAS: [docs] Started pre-drafting]
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:38:17 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> the IPMC votes on a proposal including the names of nominated Mentors.
> one of the proposed Mentors must be an Apache member. the others MUST
> be members of the IPMC.
>
> are we saying that:
>
>  either A) as a result of the proposal vote, nominated Mentors are
> drafted on the IPMC by virtue of that vote
>  or B)  that once the vote is passed propective Mentors need to ask
> for election to the IPMC. any which are rejected must withdraw,
>
> A or B seem to me to be mutally exclusive. which is it to be?

They do, don't they?  I'd suggest the answer is C) they must be IPMC
members to float their names as mentors.  This is so easily remedied
for ASF members that it's not an issue.  As for non-Member IPMC folks,
I continue to argue that its generally not a wise idea in the first
place, and the last membership nominations backed up my opinion.

This shouldn't discourage people from offering to help, but Mentor
has a very specific meaning that requires some experience, which being
a Member already validates, and previously serving on an existing PMC
hints at.  Helpers of all sorts are always welcome in new podlings as
they find their ASF legs and set off on their quest to become TLPs.

Bill