incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject hit counters for incubating web sites
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:27:01 GMT
Various posts in the past have expressed interest in collecting
statistics on usage, or downloads.  Previous replies have pointed out
that counting downloads is inaccurate, because Apache licensed
components can be redistributed by others, and the Apache mirroring
system means that most downloads occur from non-Apache machines.

We would like to get some statistical information about downloads, and
are thinking that counting clicks on the download button(s) would be a
good way (it would avoid the problem of missing mirroring).  Although
not perfect (it would miss repackaging/redistribution, and other sites
which link to a download page other than our own), we think it would be
somewhat useful, at least as a lower bound of interest.

Vadim Gritsenko has a stats site on people.a.o, looking at downloads by
extracting data from web server logs.  He has said, however, that he
won't track individual incubator projects, just TLP.  See
http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html and
http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/faq.html .

Most of the hit counters out there seem to be snippets of html you add
to your web page, which go off to someone else's server, where the
counting happens.

Is there a service running on an apache server (e.g., people.a.o), which
we can use for hit-counting?  If so, can someone post the html needed to
use it?

-Marshall