incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] BlueSky Proposal
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 23:09:14 GMT
Thanks for the good comments.

Ting Peng,
All successful open source projects share one thing in common... they
have active and diverse developer communities (and hopefully a growing
user community).  The word and concept of 'community' is extremely
important.  A project's development community works together,
collaborates, to define the goals of the project, ensure that code is
high quality and secure, and create releases for end users.  ASF
projects cannot exist without community.  The Incubator PMC will not
allow projects to graduate from Incubation if they fail to establish an
active and diverse developer community.  This is why Bertrand's comments
are extremely important.

To be accepted into incubation, the Bluesky team must commit to doing
development in an open, public and transparent way.  When a project is
accepted into Incubation, the project will get a website (or wiki
space), an SVN source code repository, and a mailing list to be used by
the development team.  The bluesky team must:

1. use the developer mailing list, website and wiki to conduct most all
of the communication between team members regarding design and
development decisions
The mailing list archive should almost be a 'design document', where
design decisions are discussed openly and team members are given a
chance to comment on decisions. 'hallway' and face to face discussion
resulting in design decisions should be avoided if possible, and when
they do happen, someone must capture the decision in an email sent to
the mailing list so the community can see how the project is evolving.

2.  In order to grow the community as large as possible, the ASF
requires that all development communication be conducted in English.
This allows people from all over the world to follow the project, watch
it evolve and contribute.  It's perfectly okay to provide documentation
in other languages, but most discussions about project design and
implementation decisions must be conducted in English in a public forum
(mailing list, wiki, etc).

If the Bluesky project is accepted into Incubation, will the Bluesky
team be able to commit to conducting project communications in the
public in English?  This is a significant challenge to the Chinese
developers on the Bluesky team. Can the team meet the challenge?

新年快乐, Happy New Year!

Bill