incubator-general mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: "Binding" term
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:08:07 GMT
On 31.01.2008, at 13:26, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2008, at 6:40 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>>> and only the PPMC member votes are binding.
>>
>> The error is the use of PPMC.  It should say that only PMC member
>> votes
>> are binding.
>
> But somehow I like the fact that in most cases the vote is much
> wider - and I think that this helps foster a community responsiblity.

Absolutely.

> Perhaps we need to do something like having the whole community
> vote and then taking this as their proposal to the PMC which then
> votes as to wether to pass this community advice on.

Yes, we're already doing that it's just very confusing to a lot of
people :)

I like your term "communiy advice" - the PPMC gauges interest by
holding a vote where only the votes of the PPMC members are
*counting* ("binding") and then forwards this as a community advice
to the IPMC which holds another vote to sign it off (where only the
votes of the IPMC members are counting/binding).

Later, as soon as the Podling has graduated, the second step goes
away and the former PPMC can now directly vote and sign-off by itself...

Cheers,
Erik