incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: freedom to do sane release management (was: Approve release Apache UIMA...)
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:15:10 GMT
On Dec 19, 2007 5:43 PM, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:

<snip>

> The second point is that there's a frequent tendency among incubator
> PMC members (and, err, most other human beings) to take their own
> opinions and experience about what constitutes reasonable practice
> and turn that into policy, taking away key elements such as self-
> governance in the process. This is just the one example. Do everyone
> a favor, work a little harder, and find the *real* thing we need to
> see ensured, independently of your own habits or preferences.

this is why i've been trying to increase guidance and reduce policy. i
think that writing up opinions into guidance is useful. ideally it
should provide a starting point for communities to develop their own
process. in my own mind, i'd like a release guide which any podling
can mine to create their own, personal release guide. it's tough to
start from nothing and a waste of effort to learn the hard way. better
to read, think then choose. (perhaps a guide guide is needed to
explain that guides are not policy but just a starting point for
podlings to develop their own best practices...)

on that note: leo any objections to me mining your post for the
release documentation...?

- robert