incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: freedom to do sane release management (was: Approve release Apache UIMA...)
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:03:21 GMT
On Dec 18, 2007 2:55 PM, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Luciano Resende wrote:
> > I guess, from the Incubator release management guide, the requirement
> > is that the release can be built from a tag, in a later point in
> > time...
>
> While that's a good (and standard) practice, it's not quite a
> requirement. There can be good reasons to build from a branch. Due to
> how subversion works, tagging is more a convention than it is a
> necessity.

the release management guide is *very* much a draft and should be
considered alpha quality at best

i put it up in that state in the hope that projects looking to pull
together their own strategy would have a starting point and

> > "All releases should be built from a tag. It is occasionally necessary
> > to rebuild releases many years later. Tagging is cheap and easy when
> > using subversion. So, every release and candidate should be tagged."
> >
> > [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-
> > practice-source
>
> Yup. Note it also says
>
>     This is a first draft intended to allow public review. (...)
>     This document is descriptive, not normative. It aims to guide
>
>     podlings through the process of release management. (...)
>
>     It contains advice on best practice (...)

the draft is just a brain dump and lacks proper structure

> the policy document which has the *requirements* is at
>
>     http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
> Incubation_Policy.html#Releases
>
> and it's not nearly as demanding.

policy is policy but the guides are not-normative

> If you're going to ask me whether you should always tag and release
> from a tag, I will answer "yes, that'd be good". But if you don't tag
> and ask me to vote on a release, I might still vote +1 :-)

+1 :-)

those who have the energy to review and vote set the criteria by which
releases are judged. at best, the guide was intended to help projects
struggling to understand the release culture.

- robert