incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject freedom to do sane release management (was: Approve release Apache UIMA...)
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:25:19 GMT
On Dec 16, 2007, at 5:24 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>> We've put the LICENSE, NOTICES, and DISCLAIMERs into the top
>> directory
>> of the source (and binary) distribution(s), but didn't realize
>> this also
>> needs to be in the top level of the SVN tag, because we didn't
>> know that
>> was considered part of the "distribution".

This should be fine. SVN tags are *not* distributions.

>> Can you please confirm this is the case?  In which case, we'll of
>> course
>> comply.

Nope, that can't really be confirmed. Apologies for any confusion.

> Your distribution must correspond to subversion

And for the record, I'm also against making this a rule in the
future. I can think of many good reasons why there is some disconnect.

> otherwise it's very hard to track (...)

I can think of many good ways to track exactly what goes into a
distribution and how, that do not require satisfying this rule.

I think you are confusing requirements with a particular approach to
satisfying those requirements.

We should not dictate every detail of how projects do release
management or build engineering. The best way to do those things
depends on the project. (And nobody likes being dictated how to do
things, either.)

cheers!

- Leo