incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: freedom to do sane release management (was: Approve release Apache UIMA...)
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:55:18 GMT
On Dec 18, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Luciano Resende wrote:
> I guess, from the Incubator release management guide, the requirement
> is that the release can be built from a tag, in a later point in
> time...

While that's a good (and standard) practice, it's not quite a
requirement. There can be good reasons to build from a branch. Due to
how subversion works, tagging is more a convention than it is a
necessity.

> "All releases should be built from a tag. It is occasionally necessary
> to rebuild releases many years later. Tagging is cheap and easy when
> using subversion. So, every release and candidate should be tagged."
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-
> practice-source

Yup. Note it also says

    This is a first draft intended to allow public review. (...)
    This document is descriptive, not normative. It aims to guide

    podlings through the process of release management. (...)

    It contains advice on best practice (...)

the policy document which has the *requirements* is at

    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

and it's not nearly as demanding.

If you're going to ask me whether you should always tag and release
from a tag, I will answer "yes, that'd be good". But if you don't tag
and ask me to vote on a release, I might still vote +1 :-)

cheers!

- Leo