incubator-general mailing list archives

From Scott Lewis <sle...@composent.com>
Subject RE: Java Jabber Server
Date Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:36:19 GMT
Greetings Jason and Peter.

ECF does have several plugins and APIs focused on OSGi-based servers.
As suggested by Peter, ECF is based upon OSGi/Equinox as underlying
runtime/component model.

ECF does not yet have a full XMPP server implementation, however.  We
would happily participate in/contribute to such a project.

There are a number of relevant ECF APIs/components...e.g. presence/im,
async file transfer, im bot, remote OSGi services, voip call API, IRC,
Skype, JMS support, etc:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF_API_Docs

Most of these APIs can/could be used for implementing an XMPP
server...and the dependencies of these APIs and their providers are
intentionally as little as possible (i.e. OSGI CDC 1.0/Foundation 1.0)
to allow for usage by smaller devices as well as servers.

ECF is doing more with server-side usage of Equinox/OSGi, and this
obviously fits in quite well with an OSGi+ECF-based XMPP server.

Please do let me/us know about any such effort that we could contribute
to.  The ECF dev mailing list is available at ecf-dev@eclipse.org.

Regards,

Scott

ECF Project Lead