incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] BlueSky Proposal
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:56:44 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2007 12:43 AM, Bill Stoddard <bill@wstoddard.com> wrote:
>
>> ...I've updated the BlueSky project proposal.  Ting Peng and Incubator PMC,
>> please review/update as needed and report back any concerns....
>
> I have two concerns about http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BlueSky:

> Sorry if I sound negative, I agree that the goals of the project are
> important, but I also see a risk of creating a project that might live
> on its own island, with very little ties to the rest of the ASF. I'm
> not saying it's impossible, but IMHO we have to make sure that the
> necessary agreements are in place before going further.

I agree with Bertrand here. This project would, potentially, be
interesting to my day job. It is unlikely that I would personally
contribute, but it is entirely possible some of the projects here in UK
higher education would be interested in the tools in this proposal. Your
proposal needs to make it clear that such interested parties can
participate as effectively in BlueSky as they can in other similar projects.

Your proposal does have "Make more documentation available in English"
as a initial goal, however I don't feel that is enough to ensure
community growth within the ASF. As bertrand says, the primary
documentation and communication language would need to be English. It's
not an ideal situation, but the reality of worldwide distributed
development within the ASF requires us to use a single language.

Some mature projects have local language support (as opposed to
development) hosted by the ASF. Would the incubator PMC find it
acceptable for this project to have a Chinese language support forum for
existing users (12 primary/high schools in China).

I also find it a little hard to pin down exactly what this software is.
It is billed as an eLearning system, yet it is described as a
distributed, collaborative environment. When I hear e-learning I think
of a virtual learning environment such as Moodle. Perhaps a short
comparison with features of typical VLE system would be helpful - what
makes this different from existing VLEs?

I did look at your project website for this, it does mention a feature
list but I could not actually find it.

Ross