incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: freedom to do sane release management (was: Approve release Apache UIMA...)
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:50:36 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> I disagree.  I agree with the statement that "All releases should be built
> from a tag."  Worst case, you should make the tag by copying from the right
> version.

The bottom line of release management in the ASF.

 > All artifacts should be generated from the tagged SVN <

So whatever you put together in a package should come from the tag, and
as Noel points out, if you've 'goofed', it's not hard to tag after the
fact based on the svn rev you used in the first place.

The deeper question, is LICENSE/NOTICE ever an artifact?  No, those
LICENSE/NOTICE files must always be present in the source code tree.
Our code, no matter if it's checked out of svn, grabbed from a snapshot
or from a full release must always carry the correct copyright, license
and notice.

Consider some different files, README or CHANGES.  Perhaps your project's
build schema wants to assemble those from multiple files, some .xml sources
etc. at packaging time.  As long as these artifacts are generated from the
contents of the tagged source code tree, that's never a problem.

Bill