incubator-general mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.1-incubating
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:09:58 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>> We've put the LICENSE, NOTICES, and DISCLAIMERs into the top directory
>> of the source (and binary) distribution(s), but didn't realize this also
>> needs to be in the top level of the SVN tag, because we didn't know that
>> was considered part of the "distribution".
>>
>> Can you please confirm this is the case?  In which case, we'll of course
>> comply.
>
> Your distribution must correspond to subversion, otherwise it's very hard
> to track the artifacts in the tarball, where they came from, how they
> got there, and if they underwent the proper oversight prior to packaging.
> (Yes, we vote on the prepared tarball, but you can see how discrepancies
> do create questions.)

That's not how I interpret the policy document.  It says:

"To apply the ALv2 to a new software distribution, include one copy of the license text by
copying
the file:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt

into a file called LICENSE in the top directory of your distribution. If the distribution
is a jar
or tar file, try to add the LICENSE file first in order to place it at the top of the archive."

That's what we do.  Of course we'll make every effort to make
our distribution easy to review.  However, it does seem that
we're ok wrt current policy, and view this as a suggestion
for next time.  Ok?

--Thilo