incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Community diversity: current concerns and suggestions for improvement
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:32:34 GMT
On Nov 19, 2007 8:05 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:

> ...Some of the discussion here to me seems to be backward: adding
> constraints to the entry of a podling to the incubator...

Agreed, we shouldn't add more constraints than needed.

> ...A couple of additional comments below...
>
> On Nov 19, 2007, at 9:05 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > ...IMHO we should allow
> > everyone who is actively involved with the codebase to follow the code
> > as a committer within the incubating project.
>
> I agree. How can we exclude folks who are already active on a project?...

Totally agreed, we want to include the members of an existing
community when a podling enters incubation.

But currently we are not asking if these people are actually members
of an existing community, that's a simple question that we could add:
indicate what role this committer has had in the project before it
entered incubation.

It is currently too easy to add someone to the list of initial
committers, you just need to put their email address, without any
"meritocracy filtering". And with our process, these people stay on
the list when the project graduates (more about that below).

I'm not saying we have any such committers at the moment, but our
process does not prevent that scenario.

> ...So I have no issue with anyone becoming a committer on a podling,
> given that all of the podling committers are reviewed at graduation
> to make sure they've demonstrated their commitment to the project...

I would agree with reviewing committers at graduation, but how do we
implement that?

Would you kick out people during graduation, if they don't show
sufficient merit?

Or re-elect all committers before graduation?

-Bertrand