incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Community diversity: current concerns and suggestions for improvement
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:18:14 GMT
On Nov 18, 2007 12:45 PM, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2007 12:46 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > 3) Limit the number of new non-ASF initial committers for incubating
> > projects...

> ...I think this throws a too wide a net. Wicket would not be an Apache project
> if we had to go through re-getting merit...

You're right, and thanks for giving a concrete example (well, as I
co-mentored it I should have thought about the Wicket case ;-)

>... I think you should add: when the
> introduced community is not already open, meritocracy based and diverse...

That could be an option...but, and also taking into account remarks
made by others in this thread, that could lead to too complicated
rules. Not sure if we want to go that route.

> ...I also think that the diversity should be discussed during the proposal
> period. If it is found to be an unbalanced community, the number of initial
> committers could be limited. But again, this is only a guideline. One of the
> goals of the incubator is to increase diversity, not stifle communities....

I like the idea: discuss initial diversity among the Incubator PMC,
when a new project comes in, with the option of limiting the number of
initial non-ASF committers. But no hard rules on that.

This might be easier to implement than having hard rules for initial
diversity. The problem is that such a discussion would be subjective,
are people comfortable with that? I'd be ok with trying that for a
given period, and re-evaluating later.

-Bertrand