incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RAT doesn't recognize CHANGES file
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:02:37 GMT
On Nov 16, 2007 1:48 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2007, at 5:40 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>
> > On Nov 16, 2007 2:36 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Would it be reasonable to expect that a file called CHANGES contains
> >> implied content?
> >
> > I do not know what you mean by "implied"
>
> I meant that CHANGES can be assumed to be a text file containing a
> list of changes from previous releases.

i think that it is reasonable expectation and should be added to the heuristics

i hope to ask infrastructure to set up RAT today. once this is done
then this can be added to JIRA.

once RAT is here, we can start fixing

> > , but in the most cases I am aware of, the CHANGES file is
> > typically something on which RAT should not have any assumptions.
>
> And I think that RAT should assume that there is no IP contained
> therein and mark it as a notice type, as in:
>
> N 1.0.1-RC5a/distribution/src/main/release/CHANGES

+1

> > IMO, this is something for which the project administrator should
> > configure an exception.
>
> I don't know what configuring an exception means...

the configuration for the heuristics needs to settable by a user.
however, apache needs a standard heuristic configuration and i agree
that CHANGES should be in it.

- robert