incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Allow podling members to set up their own infra
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:49:01 GMT

On Nov 28, 2007, at 5:49 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2007 6:29 PM, Noel J. Bergman <> wrote:
>>> Since there has been no discussion, and this is a change to policy
>> Discussion to what?  I see the RAT set up thread, but there was no
>> discussion of a general policy change.  Robert said that
>> "infrastructure
>> approval should probably rest with the IPMC in general rather than
>> the
>> mentors specifically", and you wondered why he wasn't a Mentor.
>>> I'd like to formally propose adopting the policy change in
>> -1 on the grounds that some degree of decentralization is
>> desirable, but
>> infrastructure changes should be effected under the auspices of
>> the PMC,
>> as noted by Robert.  Mentors are PMC members.

> IMHO this involves both a wider and narrower issue
> 1. for this narrow issue, approval has already been given. insisting
> that mentors in particular prepare the required JIRA isn't really
> adding anything but friction to the process.

> 2. the wider issue is whether all infrastructure work should require
> IPMC approval and (if so) what form this approval should take
> IMO it would be more effect to remove this particular rule and insist
> that infrastructure work was approved by the IPMC

I understand Robert's comment here to mean that the vote to approve
the podling for incubation is explicit approval to set up the
required infrastructure named in the incubation request. If so, +1.
If not, please elaborate.

And I can't figure what more approval might be required. Oversight,
yes. Approval, how?

Including the withdrawn proposal here for reference:
+ Some incubating projects will include committers who have karma
+ to perform the setup activities. These committers MAY set up the
+ project with oversight by the Mentors.