incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: RAT set up [WAS Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] RAT to enter incubator]
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:43:34 GMT
Hi Robert,

On Nov 20, 2007, at 6:08 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2007 11:23 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> On Nov 19, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

>>> it would probably be easier but i thought that independent mentors
>>> would be healthier and the experience might be educational
>>
>> I'd say we were conflating the two roles played by mentors:
>>
>> Mentoring the podling
>>
>> Providing infrastructure support for the podling
>
> +1
>
> infrastructure approval should probably rest with the IPMC in general
> rather than the mentors specifically

IIUC, Mentors are tasked with setting up infrastructure because any
one person would have so much work to do that no one would ever
volunteer to do it. So we have volunteer Mentors who have karma and
are willing to step up.

Specific things that Mentors do for podlings in this regard are
asking via JIRA for infra to do things that only infrastructure folks
can do; establishing the svn repo; adding podling committers to
authorization files; moderating email; and setting up the web site.

I think that Someone needs to be responsible for these things, and I
don't see that "the IPMC in general" or the IPMC chair specifically
needs to have anything to do with them.

Craig