incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Martijn Dashorst" <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Community diversity: current concerns and suggestions for improvement
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:45:38 GMT
On Nov 18, 2007 12:46 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org>
wrote:

> 3) Limit the number of new non-ASF initial committers for incubating
> projects
> People who were not ASF committers but come in via a newly incubating
> project do not get their commit rights via the normal ASF meritocracy
> rules.

I think this throws a too wide a net. Wicket would not be an Apache project
if we had to go through re-getting merit. I think you should add: when the
introduced community is not already open, meritocracy based and diverse.
Going through mailinglists of the podling should give enough evidence that
this is the case and would open the door for existing projects that are
already established as an open *and* diverse community.

No public mailinglists? no 'short cut'.

I also think that the diversity should be discussed during the proposal
period. If it is found to be an unbalanced community, the number of initial
committers could be limited. But again, this is only a guideline. One of the
goals of the incubator is to increase diversity, not stifle communities.

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.0-rc1 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-rc1/