incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Community diversity: current concerns and suggestions for improvement
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:05:29 GMT
Hi,

On Nov 18, 2007 1:46 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> 3) Limit the number of new non-ASF initial committers for incubating projects
> People who were not ASF committers but come in via a newly incubating
> project do not get their commit rights via the normal ASF meritocracy
> rules.

I don't see how being an ASF committer would make you special as an
initial committer of an incubating project? IMHO we should allow
everyone who is actively involved with the codebase to follow the code
as a committer within the incubating project.

We could (or should) better define what that "actively involved" means
(based on ASF-like merit rules) and police that definition so people
won't use the incubator proposals as shortcuts for committership.
Making existing ASF committership a part of that entry criteria (even
as a special bonus) sounds wrong to me.

BR,

Jukka Zitting