incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Apache SW Grant in other languages?
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2007 07:24:53 GMT
Hello Janne,

> One of my contributors is asking if either the CLA or the Software Grant
> are available in other languages than English (French, Dutch or German
> preferred).

That kind of question would better be sent to legal-discuss@.

I cannot imagine that you will find any authoritative translation of
the legal documents. The ASF is a US-based entity subject to US law,
where legal documents need to be in English.
You might find interpretations or explanations in other languages,
but those would of course not be legally binding. Who would be
willing to expose him- or herself to the legal liability resulting
from a translation error?
Authoritative versions in other languages would only make sense if
the documents needed to be adjusted for local laws in other countries.
But the ASF has no need for that.

If you send that question to legal-discuss@, chances are you will be
told to consult a local lawyer who is familiar with US law and can
make a translation.

cheers,
  Roland