incubator-general mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Doing a "release" which includes an Eclipse "update site"
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:35:53 GMT
On 30.11.2007, at 05:00, Marshall Schor wrote:

> Thanks, Erik.  It makes sense to me to have the update site under the
> dist/ directory, since it is a kind of distribution.
>
> I see there was an update to the page
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html
> about a month ago which added the information that incubator podling
> releases
> *must* be on http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/---podlingname---

Yes, after several long and heated debates I believe this is what was
decided, see the thread at [1] for example; the doc you mentioned
seems to confirm this but as there is no such location I'm also
wondering what the status quo is right now...

> So I'll make our update site have the form:
> www.a.o/dist/incubator/uima/....
>
> I see in geronimo/eclipse/updates/plugins the jars for the plugins,
> plus
> the .asc, md5, and .sha files.  How are the .asc, md5, .sha files
> used?
> Does the Eclipse update-site "signing" mechanism interface with
> these files?

No, afaict these are not really used though can't hurt to have them.

> By the way, I looked at www.a.o/dist/incubator, and it appears that
> the
> incubator tree has not yet been set up (I get a URL Not Found).  Am I
> looking in the wrong spot, or have there been no incubator releases
> since this policy change?

It's a pita that we still don't have a www.a.o/dist/incubator - I was
under the impression that we're using that already but it seems that
the incubator is still using the non-mirrored and non-archived
location at people.apache.org/dist/incubator/...

Cheers,
Erik

[1] http://marc.info/?t=117201661400004&r=1&w=2