incubator-general mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Doing a "release" which includes an Eclipse "update site"
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:10:12 GMT
On 29.11.2007, at 22:41, Marshall Schor wrote:

> In our next release of Apache UIMA from the incubator, we would
> like to
> include an additional packaging of some of our Eclipse tooling as an
> Eclipse "update site".  This is a location, reachable via http, which
> Eclipse can use to download Eclipse plugins.  Doing this solves a
> long-standing complaint because this method does version / dependency
> checking for other needed Eclipse plugins.
>
> Several projects at Apache make use of Eclipse update sites; all of
> them
> (I think) host them off of their project web sites.  This is what we
> would like to do.

Off of their project web sites? Hmm, I'd suggest to do it like
Geronimo and use your /dist/ area:

http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/updates/

and also tie it into the current mirroring system; for an example see
site.xml at that location, esspecially the <site mirrorsURL="..."> in
there which refers to [1] and which takes care of delivering the
locations of the currently available mirrors...

Cheers,
Erik

[1] http://geronimo.apache.org/devtools/geronimo-eclipse-update--xml.cgi
     for the source see