incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: RAT set up [WAS Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] RAT to enter incubator]
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:28:27 GMT

On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 11:43 -0800, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> On Nov 20, 2007, at 6:08 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
> > On Nov 19, 2007 11:23 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Hi Robert,

> >> I'd say we were conflating the two roles played by mentors:
> >>
> >> Mentoring the podling
> >>
> >> Providing infrastructure support for the podling
> >
> > +1
> >
> > infrastructure approval should probably rest with the IPMC in general
> > rather than the mentors specifically

'Infrastructure approval' is a rather strange idea. If you mean when
will infra be prepared to act upon a request will be looking at board
resolutions and incubator PMC votes. If the vote has occurred to create
a podling, then _anyone_ with sufficient karma can get on and create
stuff. I'm sure no-one would complain (unless it is done badly). Who
should be pushing for getting the infra set up? Well, that can be anyone
who is interested in seeing it done. However, mentors are more likely to
know who/where to ask, what to ask and how to ask, and asking in the
right way definitely helps streamline the work.

> IIUC, Mentors are tasked with setting up infrastructure because any
> one person would have so much work to do that no one would ever
> volunteer to do it. So we have volunteer Mentors who have karma and
> are willing to step up.

Well, I think it is more that we have mentors, and we have infra
volunteers, and some infra volunteers happen to be mentors, which is
more or less co-incidence.

> Specific things that Mentors do for podlings in this regard are
> asking via JIRA for infra to do things that only infrastructure folks
> can do; establishing the svn repo; adding podling committers to
> authorization files; moderating email; and setting up the web site.

Yeah. Mentors likely do that because they know what to ask. Other than
that, anyone can do it.

> I think that Someone needs to be responsible for these things, and I
> don't see that "the IPMC in general" or the IPMC chair specifically
> needs to have anything to do with them.

If the podling is interested in getting its infra setup, which I would
assume it is, then I wouldn't worry about who is responsible. I'd just
say, "if in doubt, ask your mentor(s)"

That's my thoughts.

Regards, Upayavira